Thursday, October 7, 2010

A Blog full of "quotations"

Mommy and Me...Thursday!


The past two weeks Brenna and Ethan have been playing school. Not once in awhile, every day!As soon as Brenna comes home from school, it's time for "school".

Last week she called for me to come into her room to "see something." She had her stuffed animals lined up on her bed at their "desks" and all had matching "folders" (pictured above)in front of them. Their "folders," were handmade by Brenna. She took the time to take 5 sheets of paper and make each the same.
(Those of you that have children in Kindergarten or First Grade will appreciate this.) Miss Brenna also made a weather chart, school days chart, counting chart, and has the alphabet hung in her room for her students. Everyday she stands in front of those charts and goes over each one. The weather has to be changed to the current weather, the school day number has to be correct, and she better be able to find her pointer! Sometimes the pointer is in Mr. Ethan's class room across the hall. Yes! Mr. Ethan has started teaching his own class now. Brenna also made charts for his room.
It amazes me to see my children doing this. It truly does. Brenna asked me to make her some "tests" 5-1 = __, 5+3=___, etc. I had to make 5 the same.
A light bulb went off while i was doing this. I looked at my husband and said, "I use to do this. I use to do this! She is being like me! I had tests, folders, and papers! I was the teacher!!"
Last night Brenna asked me to help her make an "answer book." I had been in the kitchen all day long making dinner, and canning salsa. I really did not want to do anything else, but plop on the couch. However, I remembered what I read in the newsletter what I wrote, "take time to make those moments." I then remembered my "light bulb" moment, what I told my husband only 4 days ago "I use to do this!"
Brenna and I sat down and made her "answer book." The joy in her face coming straight from her heart;the joy I felt in helping her; the two of us bonding over something we shared in two different generations, now that is a mommy moment if ever there is one! Placed in my memory box and I hope she placed it in hers!
"Sometimes you see yourself in your child and you know what, that is pretty cool!"
~JL Genovese
"While we try to teach our children all about life,Our children teach us what life is all about." ~Angela Schwindt
If you haven't time to respond to a tug at your pants leg, your schedule is too crowded. ~Robert Brault


1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed this story VERY much!!I LOVE ur quotes too!:)I can so relate with my children teaching me!:...)

    ReplyDelete