Monday, October 18, 2010

Big Enough

So today's the first day. The first day of my husband being officially and undeniably unemployed. As in, no 9 to 5, no pay day every other Friday, no company picnic. Yep, that's unemployed with a capital "U." Unemployed when the unemployment rate is 10%, its getting harder and harder to find a job, and former CEOs are flipping hamburgers. (Okay maybe it's not that bad. The CEOs probably get to work the counter.)

But you get my point.

For some reason, God in all of His wisdom has decided that this is a good time for our family to embark on a major life transition, to move from here to there, to step out in faith. And really it's not so bad, right? I mean change is good, especially when you got the whole world in front of you, nothing holding you back, and a whole lot of dreams to live on. Carpe diem etc. etc. etc.

But the truth is I'm a mom and being a mom changes everything.

The good becomes better, the bad becomes worse, and, as in this case, the uncertain becomes terrifying. Being a mom means not only carrying my own fears and worries about the future, but protecting my three little ones from theirs. Being a mom means explaining why we have to move and why daddy "works" in the basement now.

So not surprisingly, there've been a lot of times I find myself struggling with fear and worry and disbelief. Not so much for myself, but for my kids. I mean, sure, I believe God is big enough to take care of me, but is He big enough to take care of them?

What I could really use right now is a God who understands how hard it is to care for children in the "in between" times. What I could really use right now is a God who knows that I feel lost and don't know which way to go. What I could really use right now is a God big enough to take care of a mommy and the little ones who are looking up to her.

Maybe a God something like this:

"He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that are with young." (Isaiah 40:11 NIV)

Yeah. A God like that. That would work nicely.

~Guest blogger…Hannah Anderson. Hannah is a wife, and a stay-at-home mom of three children. She is also a friend to many in our MOPS group!

2 comments:

  1. So thankful I have a God like that too! I'm going through similar changes and uncertainty in life right now too. As a mom it's hard not to try to take things in your own hands and try to "fix it." Through everything God is teaching me to trust in him completely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always loved that verse. So good to know that as I care for my children there is One much bigger who is caring for me. He is in control. Thanks for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete