Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Question Tuesday!

I ponder a lot and question myself a lot, do you? Especially in my role as mommy, I find myself always asking "could I have done this better?" or "why did I say that?" and so on. I believe in extending myself grace as the Lord does, as I am human, but I also believe in improving where I can. I know that it's no surprise to God when I mess up (nothing is a surprise to Him!) but it is a surprise to me!
One thing I really am trying to focus on with my son is actually focusing on my son. I'm usually found juggling about 12 things- my phone, (ooh, a text!), lunch, picking something up, AND talking to my little guy. Not often am I just looking him in the eye and talking to him. Did you know that that is one of the key ingredients in feeling included and part of a family? Sincere conversation and personal time spent. And yet, does he feel that when I'm texting and dusting and talking? I know it's not realistic to sit all day and look into his eyes while we converse, but do I do it much at all? This is what I'm working to improve.

Do you have anything you want to improve in your mommy-ing?

5 comments:

  1. More time.
    I want to spend more time with my kids.
    You are right Wendy, you cannot spend every waking moment at their side and respond to every request they ask. But we can make time that they know they are loved.
    We mean the world to them. All they want to know is that they mean the world to us too! That time doesn't last long. Soon someone else will mean the world to them and we will be their "mother" =-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's easy for me to spend ALL my time with Mia bc of school and let Addie watch educational tv in the meantime...and then poor Maylee only gets attention when she cries, too...so I need to find practical ways to spend time with the other two that meet their needs as well...I try to include Addie and Maylee as much as possible, but they lose interest quick and take a lot more "creativity" on my part if I'm going to teach them alongside Mia. Idk...it's definetely a challange I struggle with daily that the Lord reminds me how much I need his grace through...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That special one on one time is rare for all of us I think. Bedtime is one of my favorite times of the day. We lay together and talk about the day, read a book and pray together.

    Once the new baby is here I am sure I will have a shortage of hours and I am already worried about that special one on one time with Wyatt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you know that the quality time over quantity time myth has been debunked. That the quality minutes can't be created they happen in the quantity time. All that said to say that while I struggle to be utterly present when my children are talking with me, I have given up (mostly) the idea that I don't spend enough time with them or that the time we are together isn't good because I need to work. I invite them along for the day. And while we go we talk and that is where the minutes I want to linger over are found. I can't remember what happened the last time I played dolls with Abigail, but I can listen to the joy in her voice as she anticipated those fried potatoes she helped to slice (and I know we should have fried potatoes more often.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Being intentional", as I call it, is a way into our child's heart.
    Thanks for the reminder from your heart!

    ReplyDelete