Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Candy Cane Ornament

I LOVE this craft idea that I stumbled onto on FamilyFun.com!
I cannot wait to make these with (or without my kids!) and add them into my basket of homemade gifts this year!!

You will need:

2 skeins of DMC Pearl Cotton, one red and one white
Scissors
Red pipe cleaners
½" to 5/8" ribbon

Directions:

1. Open a skein of cotton and snip the loop at each end so you have two bunches; repeat with the other skein. Then take one red bunch and one white bunch and tie them together into a single knot around the end of a pipe cleaner.


2. To make the stripes, twist the two colors around the pipe cleaner and knot the ends together around the other end. Trim the cotton at both ends and trim the pipe cleaner if need be.

3. Bend into a candy cane shape and adorn with a ribbon bow.


Tips:
These canes were created with fine DMC Pearl Cotton, but younger kids may have an easier time with chenille yarn or cord.

DMC Pear Cotton…is also known as cross stitch thread!



1 comment:

  1. How funny! I just bookmarked these yesterday! LOVE it! I'm hoping to make them with the kids this weekend. I also liked these:

    http://familyfun.go.com/christmas/christmas-ornaments/sparkling-ice-crystals-674892/

    Snowflake ornaments!

    ReplyDelete