Friday, November 26, 2010

Thankful...

Thankful for precious people...

As our family sat around the table for our Thanksgiving feast, we observed our tradition of sharing the blessings for which we are thankful. At the top of our lists this year were two new people in our family, one, a courageous 28 year old soldier across the ocean in Afghanistan who married our daughter in June, and the other, a darling month old baby sleeping soundly in the next room who is the first child of our son and his wife. Aaron and Liam have added so much to our lives and truly remind me again that it is the people in our lives, not the things, that bring us joy.

I'm particularly grateful for another important person in my life, my "baby" sister, Jessica Schaeffer, a missionary nurse at the Women and Children's Hospital in Koutiala, Mali, West Africa. She works harder than anyone I know as the director of nursing in a bustling facility that is saving the lives of countless mothers and babies who in the past have died from ailments and illnesses that only needed proper medical care. Today is Jessica's birthday and though none of her family will be there to help her celebrate, we will all be celebrating her and recalling what joy she brought to our family as an unexpected blessing to her parents and eight older siblings. Rather than becoming a spoiled little girl with all the attention and love she received, she has become one of those selfless people who dedicates her skills, time and energy to helping others and bringing light to their lives. Although Jessica looks to me as an older sister who has wisdom and experience, I look to her as a constant inspiration and hero, someone who realizes that no task is too small or too great when helping others; that ultimately, all that we do for people is for our Heavenly Father, who created us and gives us the health and energy to be and do each day.

As I think of Jessica today, I will give thanks for her and all of the precious people in my life and I will embrace once again the tasks which God has given me. Those tasks do not often bring visible reward or fanfare, but there is a deep joy and peace in serving those God has put in my life.

Philippians 1:6 "I thank my God every time I remember you."

~ Joy Herman

No comments:

Post a Comment