Monday, November 1, 2010


In a conversation with some family members recently I said, “we are not necessarily done having children.”

My father-in-law was shocked. “You’re not?” After a significant pause he added,
“you know the more children you have, the more chances there are that something will happen to one of them.”

Did you ever have one of those moments where you feel like someone just hit the “slow motion” button? Then you want to grab the remote from them and hit “rewind” so that you can replay what you just heart to be sure that you heard it? Yep, I had me one of those moments.

I had no idea what to say to him. All I could get out at that moment was,
“God is in control of my life.”

I feel much sadness for my husband’s father. He is completely consumed by fear.

His statement isn’t exactly false. Yes, something could happen to one of my children. Have I thought about that? Sure. As easy as it could be for me to let that particular worry consume me, I don’t let it. How? I give it to Him. My trust is in Him.

Having Him certainly does not give you a “get out of a stressful life free” card. There is still worry. There is still sadness. There is still loss. There is still hurt. There is still pain. There is still sin. There is still sorrow. There is still fear. But there is forgiveness, there is peace. A peace, that truly surpasses all understanding, especially the understanding of those who do not know Him.

"And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." ~Philippians 4:7

I often remind myself that my children, technically, do not even belong to me. They are just under my care. They belong to Him, they are His. He just chose me to be their mother. I am so glad that He did.

I do not know what the future holds for me or my family. I only know that He is in control. I have to trust fully and completely in Him. Not always an easy task. So many times I fight with Him for that control and do you know what I usually get if He allows me to win a fight? Fear.

Time goes by so fast. Do we really want to spend every moment fearing what the next will bring? What a waste!

God calls us to give Him all of our fears and worry. I certainly don’t want them. Why does He? Because he loves us.

I found a couple of fun quotes about fear:

"FEAR is an acronym in the English language for "False Evidence Appearing Real”

“98% of the things we worry about, probably will never happen.”


I also wanted to share some truth about fear:

“Fear not tomorrow, God is already there.”

“Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.” ~Psalm 23:4


“For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.” ~Isaiah 41:13


“The Lord is my light and my salvation--whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life--of whom shall I be afraid?” ~Psalm 27:1
"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” ~John 14:27

4 comments:

  1. Excellent post today, Jen. I am consumed with this in life lately and wonder where my trust in the Lord is sometimes. Thanks for the scriptures.

    As an aside: Your FIL's logic is statistically correct in his statement... If a child isn't born, then clearly they can't be harmed, but statistically, any one person has an equal number of chances to be harmed etc than any other. Forget he even said it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So needed that this morning Jen! Thanks for using your gift and words to point the rest of us in the right direction - up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome-I needed to hear that (; Thanks Jen !! -Melissa

    ReplyDelete